The ever-growing multi-mask trend is taking the (beauty) world by storm. It usually involves applying multiple masks to different areas of your face at the same time, to personalize the benefits to your skin. So you might try a detoxing clay mask on your oily T-zone, a brightening vitamin C mask around your eyes, and a thick moisturizing concoction to your cheeks.
My biggest complaint with multi-masking is the mess. Trying to spread four different masks on at once gets labor intensive, plus if you’re making your own, you have to mix up such unreasonably small batches that once you factor in cost, time, and dishes to wash, I would rather skip masking altogether rather than go through all that (just being real here).
However there is a much less talked about way to multi-mask.
Out with the Old, In with the New
Also called dual-masking, you apply an ‘out’ mask followed by an ‘in’ mask. ‘Out’ masks, such as clay or charcoal masks, pull impurities and excess oil out of your skin. ‘In’ masks put moisture and nutrients back into your skin.
With this method your skin can better absorb the benefits of the ‘in’ mask, because the ‘out’ mask has already cleared your pores of any gunk that would prevent the good stuff getting into the lower layers of your skin.
Recently my friend Shannon gave me some masks to sample from Perfectly Posh®, where she is an independent consultant. There are over 10 different kinds to try, with a good variety of both ‘in’ and ‘out’.
What I was surprised to find out from Shannon was that not only were all Posh products affordable (nothing is over $25!), they are all Paraben, Petroleum, and Sulfate free. In addition to their face masks I also die for their Big Fat Yummy Hand Cremes (Is that an awesome name or what?) and their Moisturize 911 face moisturizer.
Favorite Perfectly Posh® Out Masks
- Go West – .This hard working mask does double duty as an ‘out’ mask. Red clay pulls out impurities and unclog pores, while volcanic ash exfoliates and sloughs off dead skin cells. Get it Here
- Pineapple Pick-Me-Up – .For those of you with dry skin this is a great ‘out’ mask. It’s really gentle even on the most sensitive skin, but still helps exfoliate and clean. Get it Here
- Calling all Fairies – .To be honest I haven’t tried this mask yet, but I’m sure I’ll love it once I do. This mask uses glycolic acid to exfoliate and nourish your skin. Get it Here
Favorite Perfectly Posh In Masks
- Hot and Gold – .This is one of my most favorite masks. Filled with colloidal gold particles, this mask will brighten your complexion and help protect your skin from pollution. This mask can also slow down the aging process as colloidal gold has been shown to have anti-aging properties. Plus, it just feels super luxurious to use a face mask with gold in it. Get it Here
- Totes Oats – This calming mask uses oats to sooth and nourish your skin. It also has honey which has been used for centuries for it’s healing properties. This mask is also great for use on your neck or hands as well. Get it Here
Although it is generally recommended to only use 1-2 masks a week, with this multi-mask method, you can easily use 2 masks twice a week. Because you are restoring the moisture that the first mask removed with the second, and your not trying to hydrate clogged pores it won’t cause any damage.
It gets better…
The best part of dual-masking is that it works for all skin types. If you have dry skin, choose an ‘out’ mask that is gentle and clears pores without severely stripping your skin. If you have more oily skin, after your ‘out’ mask, opt for a hydrating ‘in’ mask vs. a moisturizing one. Hydration involves water while moisturizing involves oil. So even if you have oily skin you should incorporate a good hydrating mask every week or so to keep your skin conditioned and to ward the winter scales off.
The masks were given to my by a Perfectly Posh Independant Consultant for review purposes. All opinions are my own.